Extended Family Histories

Notes


Matches 51 to 100 of 239

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
51 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I929)
 
52 Dennis was killed in a traffic accident between Salem and Bridgewater.He was a freshman attending South Dakota State University and was onhis way home on a Friday afternoon with a group of other collegestudents from Bridgewater. The car he was driving failed to make acurve on a gravel road and it hit a bridge. A girl in the car died atthe scene and Dennis died from head injuries less than 10 hours later.in a freeman, SD hospital. Leitheiser, Dennis (I930)
 
53 Died at birth. She is buried in the same plot as her mother. Leitheiser, Elizabeth (I950)
 
54 Died in childbirth. The baby Elizabeth died too. McMartin, Doris Aethra (I1405)
 
55 died in his sleep Leitheiser, Charles (I910)
 
56 Died of cardiomyopathy Lentz, Paul (I1155)
 
57 Died of drowning. Leitheiser, Fred (I964)
 
58 Died of Scarlet Fever at 13 months of age. Bakker, Phillip (I124)
 
59 Divorced Bessie. Died in a motor vehicle accident. Anderson, Glenn Lee (I34)
 
60 Divorced Betty. Anderson, Emery Earl (I30)
 
61 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I33)
 
62 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I253)
 
63 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I77)
 
64 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I99)
 
65 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I2191)
 
66 Divorced from Phillip. Georgia (I2008)
 
67 Divorced Georgia, married Betty, who already had some children. Whittum, Phillip Lee (I2222)
 
68 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I2216)
 
69 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I101)
 
70 Divorced Walter in 1966. After her second husband William died in 1977, Ruth shared her life with Jesse Young (born Apr 4, 1931) for 17 years until his death in August 1994. Later companion of Ruth was Robert Field, who died on July 13, 2003. They lived together and took care of each other for about five years. Bakker, Ruth (I133)
 
71 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I265)
 
72 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I308)
 
73 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I1633)
 
74 drowned Leitheiser, Fred (I964)
 
75 Emil was a Stationary Engineer, working as a fireman (taking care offiring up boilers). He lived at 560 Hanover Street. The family grew up on Dover street. Emigrated from Hamburg or Breman, Germany. Retired to Lake Tichigan.

Emil had a dark complexion, red hair, blue eyes.

[names that need straightening out...]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chuck? Bud? Edwin (mentally affected)?

Hiram Patrick I (Tex) married Adeline.
children: Arlene, married a Beyer
Gail
Marsha
JoAnne
Loretta (adopted)
Hiram Patrick II (Patrick)
there is a third generation Hiram Patrick III

Pat Miller?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Lenz, Emil Alexander (I1182)
 
76 Emily died at birth / full-term. Oglivie, Emily Brooke (I2507)
 
77 Entombment -- Mt. Olivet Cemetery (Patio 12, Tier B, Crypt 123) Lenz, Walter John (I1227)
 
78 Ethel was Orville Melbrech's sister (Orville married DeloresLeitheiser) Mehlbrech, Ethel (I1417)
 
79 Frank and Martin were twins.

Frank chose one of the claims of Franz (across the road from the home claim). 
Leitheiser, Frank (I960)
 
80 Frank emigrated from Germany in 1840 with his parents. He lived with his parents in Milwaukee, WI. Frank had been an officer in the Union Army. He ran for county office and won a job as County Clerk and Register of Deeds in the county courthouse in Tripp, SD (Hutchinson Country). He drove to his office each day while his wife and family ran the homestead. Eisenmann, Frank J (I372)
 
81 Frank was a farmer, auctioneer, and insurance agent 1918 to 1947. He farmed in the Bridgewater and Canistota area until 1942 when they moved to Parker. They quit farming in 1947. Frank was employed by the J.L. Healy Construction Company for many years following that. Garry, Frank (I455)
 
82 Franz Joseph came to America with his older brother when he was 16 years old (1835).

He came with his older brother from Germany to New York to escape the military training that all young men were required to take when they finished their education.

The two bought a harness shop in New York, but Franz wasn't satisfied.The Louisiana Purchase was made during this time which nearly doubled the size of America. The railroads were doing a great job of moving people west. Franz went west. He got a job on the Erie Canal that opened a waterway to Lake Erie. While there, he met and married Mary Catherine.

They moved to Barton, WI in 1854 [see Mary Catherine's notes]. Franz examined the soil near Barton and decided it could be used to make bricks, so he started a brick factory (Barton Brick Yard). The business was very successful. In 1879 he sold the business to Charles Kauffung

They moved to Bridgewater, South Dakota to be with their sons in 1881.[see notes on Adam and Henry] He took three homestead claims by pre-emption, tree claim, and regular claim.

Franz was a carpenter and cement worker. He helped his sons build up their homes. He helped build the Catholic Church and built a hotel (named the New Yorker) directly north of the railroad depot. The hotel was operating by the fall of 1883.

His wife and children lived on the claim, and Franz stayed at the hotel. One day in 1884, while walking into town from the claim, he suffered a heart attack and died.

His wife, Mary Catherine, donated the ground for a Catholic cemetary and Franz was the first person buried there. 
Leitheiser, Franz Joseph (I963)
 
83 Gena was later adopted by Phyllis's second husband Kenneth. Pettit, Gina Louise (I1613)
 
84 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I1140)
 
85 George got a job with a newspaper. Neher, George (I1508)
 
86 George had been convicted at Stafford, England and transported for life on 13 Aug 1800. His crime was stealing a bay gelding, valued at £2, on 11 Jun 1800. (It is interesting that the horse was worth less than the bolt of cloth that Hannah had stolen.)

George arrived in the colony of NSW as a convict aboard the convict ship “Perseus” on 4 Aug 1802 along with 112 other male convicts ‘handpicked’ by some of the best judges in England at the time. Despite the loss of one convict during the voyage, Governor King described them as bein in high health and fit for immediate labour, which was a far cry from some of the earlier trnsport ships, especially those of the Second Fleet some 12 years prior.

It is of interest to note that (from Historical Records of Australlia) Governor King, in a letter to English Authorities dated 9 Aug 1802, commended the masters of the ships “Coramandel” and “Perseus” (same owners) for the kindness shown to the convicts and the good state of health enabling them to commence labour immediately. Thanks were expressed by passengers and convicts for the kind attention of the masters and surgeons. The “Perseus” was a ship of 362 tons and carried eight 38mm guns. The ship called at Rio de Janeiro and The Cape prior to arriving in Australia.

[Initially Jean McDonald (who did the research to determine the lineage to George Howell) was unable to find George’s name on a photocopy of the “Perseus” original Convict Identification. She finally located it with his last name recorded as “Owle”.]

George and Hannah Hill either knew each other in England, or got to know each other fairly quickly after her arrival in NSW in June 1804, as they had their first child together, George, in April 1805. They were to have another nine children together.

Other information says “the punishment that George suffered for his crime in England apparently did not have the effect of immediate reformation upon him.” A year before his son George was born, he along with three others, received corporal punishment and was set to hard labour at Castle Hill for the crime of stealing corn.

However, the following year, in 1804, George was appointed overseer to the Government Wheelwrite at Parramatta and was responsible for the construction of a wind and water mill together with a dam/weir on the river. His wheelwright skills and capabilities in this regard were widely applauded. Besides the benefits that the mill brought to the colony it also became a significant landmark. On 4 Jun 1806 George was granted a Conditional Pardon (meaning he could never return to England, but all other rights and privileges were restored). He eventually acquired a 14 year lease of land in the ‘Back Row’, George Street, Parramatta, by the mill. here he constructed what he called “a comfortable dwelling house at a considerable expense.”

George eventually purchased the “Wind and Water Mill’ from the Government, and duly used it for the grinding and dressing of wheat and corn for the colony. He appears to have done well and his will dated 1836 is a lengthy six page document in which he makes provision for Hannah and all his children. The will reveales that at the time he had a total acreage of 1,328 (mostly at Bilpin), two mills at Parramatta, and one at Richmond opprosite the Grose River. He also owned 30 horned cattle and 16 horses. After 22 years in the colony, his application for a grant of land for the purpose of agricultural pursuits was supported by John Macarthur and Samuel Marsden, Senior Chaplain.

Another source of information was the “Old Chum” column in “Sydney Truth” of Feb. and Mar. 1917 regarding letters in response to a query about “Howell’s Old Mill” at Parramatta. Mr Thomas Fowlie of Granville wrote: “In a plan of Parramatta in the early 1830s a narrow strip of land between the river and George Street is marked “George Howell’s Estate” a little west of King’s Wharf. This was the site of the famous Wind and Water Mill. Mr Fowlie said he had a beautiful photograph of this one-time mill and gives a lengthy description. He mentions how this wonderful mechanical contrivance adapted itself to move. In his view the principal feature was the dam or weir across the river and that there must have been a special grant given before this could have been built as it completely obstructed all down river boating above this point. When the tide was coming in it went one way and when receding went the other way. The object of the dam was to concentrate pressure on the wheele in its flow in and out.” Despite objections from some boating enthusiasts, the mill brought many benefits to the colony and was considered an outstanding success.

Mr Fowlie also mentions “This Mr George Howell was not only a miller but a large flour contractor and supplied various government institutions with flour. In addition to the above mill, George had another windmill at Parramatta North. It stood near the corner of Grose and Marsden Streets. It was at this mill that George Howell’s son (George Jr.) met his death whilst effedting repairs in 1837. He was accorded a Masonic funeral - the first in Parramatta, and first funeral from the Methodist Church, Macquarie Street. The mills were shut down after his death and the one at North Parramatta was demolished. The other on the river stood until the 1870s - the swelling being utilised until then.”

A number of “Old Chum” readers, when commenting on the wind and water mill made mention of its beauty and its shingle clad roof. The corn mill located at the southeast corner of the Gasworks Bridge was in operation from 1828 until the late 1850s and is depicted in two History of Parramatta booklets. One written by Collinridge Rivett in 1961 says “The colony’s best known and most picturesque mill was George Howell’s “second mill”. 
Howell, George (I2411)
 
87 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I966)
 
88 Gertrude was born in Germany, and is so stated on the 1930 census. Her true birth city is on her mother's passport (which unfortunately has been lost). After Gertrude came to the states, at some point in time her mother had a fake birth certificate forged. Radtke, Gertrude Ruth (I1658)
 
89 Gottlieb and Frieda Radtke visited East Germany in 1971. There arephotos of Doris, Wolfgang, and Adeltrout with them. Gerda (I2009)
 
90 Gottlieb fled the Ukraine in 1917 or 1918 to escape the Russian revolution. He went to Germany where he met Frieda. He got her pregnant and left for America to be with his brother Julius who was living in Two Rivers, WI at the time. He said he'd send back money for Frieda and the baby to come to America also. He settled in Benton Harbor, Michigan.

He sent the money as promised. So Frieda and her newborn baby (Gertrude) came to America. 
Radtke, Gottlieb (I1659)
 
91 Greg and Ray were twins. Leitheiser, Greg (I970)
 
92 Greg and Ray were twins. Leitheiser, Ray (I1069)
 
93 Had polio. Had to walk with the assistance of a cane. Kafka, Robert (I734)
 
94 Hardy was a sergeant in the US Army. We worked as a tool and die setter and operator at the Louis Allis company in Milwaukee. Lenz, Gerhardt John (Hardy) (I1190)
 
95 Harold and John Hugh were twins.

When Harold got married, his parents retired (to 27 Ferguson Street, Canowindra), Harold and Hilda stayed to live and work Belmont. 
McDonald, Harold (I2347)
 
96 He changed his name by deed poll to Raymond Lionel, reversing his first and middle names. Radford, Lionel Raymond (I2463)
 
97 head injuried from a car accident Leitheiser, Dennis (I930)
 
98 heart attack Bartling, Emma (I145)
 
99 heart attack Leitheiser, Joseph Frank (I999)
 
100 heart attack Leitheiser, Leo Otto (I1010)
 

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next»