Extended Family Histories

Notes


Matches 201 to 239 of 239

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5

 #   Notes   Linked to 
201 The John E. Lenz (also spelled Lenc) family arrived in NYC on the SS Switzerland in late May or June 1902. the family first lived with Rozalia Behmke, who was also responsible for paying their fare. they lived above the Behmke's tavern. They move to Jones Island and lived with John Kohnke and wife Josephine.

Daughter Anna Sikora said her father had been hired on a fishing expedition to earn more money for the family. the trip was to LakeMichigan off the coast of Waukegan, IL. It was fish spawning time.The catch would be good. It was cold. John slipped on some ice and fell into the lake. His body was never recovered.

After John died, the family had to fare without husband and father. There was still a debt to pay to Rose Behmke who paid their fare from Poland. Philomena took in laundry and made fly nets used for fishing, hammocks, or horses. The people from Jones Island gave her $10 after John's death.

Emil, the oldest son, was hired on a fishing tug and at age 13 (?) did his part to support the family.

[partial source Milwaukee Magazine, 1982] 
Lenz, John (I1199)
 
202 The name McDonald is perpetuated in the Sydney Museum by the naming of fossilised trilobites, the first to be discovered in Australia in 1952 by George. One trilobite is called “McDonald” and the other “Borenore” having been discovered near the Borenore Cave. McDonald, George (I2365)
 
203 The Nehers came from Germany about the same time as the Leitheisers and for the same reason-- to avoid going into the army. "Elizabeth had big brown eyes and black curly hair, and looked very much like her dad."

When the Nehers moved to South Dakota, the first school Elizabeth'sfather helped build was five miles from their home. Too far to walk. She waited until the second one was built only two miles away. She attended through the sixth grade.

Then her parents sent her to live with her aunt in Milwaukee, who made her work all the time and she was too tired to do her homework. She so embarrassed that she couldn't keep up with the younger children in her class, so she quit going to school. Elizabeth wrote her parents and said she would work until she earned enough for her ticket home.

When she got back to South Dakota, she herded cows for 25 cents a day. Then she got a job at the new hotel in Salem as the laundry girl. She worked there until she married Henry Leitheiser.

After Henry died in 1924, her brother John was a great help (he livedwith them from about 1900 onward). 
Neher, Elizabeth Clara (I1505)
 
204 The placing of a missing generation as offsprint of Mary Ann is arbitrary, and probably incorrect. It is simply a placeholder. Howell, Mary Ann (I2410)
 
205 There are two Clara Lenz’s as daughters. It is unclear if they are really the same person, or if this first Clara died very young and they had a second child and named her Clara also. That would be strange, but there are specific birth dates three years apart. Lenz, Clara (I1172)
 
206 This child was 5 months old when father died. McDonald, Fourteenth Child (I2386)
 
207 This is John's second wife. Mildred (I2043)
 
208 This second Clara died of black diptheria. Lenz, Clara (I1173)
 
209 Thomas and Monenia had 12 children, but only 4 survived to be raised. Souter, Thomas (I2519)
 
210 Tracy never took the name McDonald. Maguire, Tracey Dawn (I2435)
 
211 Twin of Augusta. Glohe, William George (I2477)
 
212 Twin of Billy. Glohe, Augustus (I2478)
 
213 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I2407)
 
214 Twin of Gwenneth? Pryor, Rosemary (I2546)
 
215 Twin of Rosemary? Pryor, Gwenneth (I2545)
 
216 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I2406)
 
217 Ukranian passport. Ferdinand and Marianna, Gottlieb, Lydia, and Wanda arrived on the SS Rotterdam in NYC on June 18, 1921. It departed from Rotterdam on June 8, 1921.

Julius paid for the transit tickets, and was living in Two Rivers, Wisconsin at the time. See document library reference.

One source has Ferdinand with a first wife, perhaps Emma Erstlink? 
Radtke, Ferdinand (I1650)
 
218 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I817)
 
219 Walter’s birth certificate lists his first name as Ladisaus. Sikora, Walter Joseph (I1853)
 
220 Was a bootmaker. Glohe, John Christian Frederick (I2658)
 
221 Was a milliner (hat making) front girl. Chell, Evelyn (I2470)
 
222 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I2694)
 
223 Was an electrician who was accidentally electricuted. Wanek, Edmund (I2111)
 
224 Was an electrician. Glohe, Sidney Charles Frederick (I2469)
 
225 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I2762)
 
226 When his parents moved to Canada, Joe took out a homesteaders claimthere and started to ranch. Neher, Joseph (I1513)
 
227 When Lex finished school he joined his older brother Kelvin on the farm. In due course Kelvin bought the land across the road on which they planned to build a home. This 475 acres was originally approx. half of Bellevue. Because of intense pressure applied by the bank to pay off at least some of his £6,000 debt, his father Hugh sold that portion in 1942.

Lex joined the Canowindra Junior Farmer’s Club at age 12 in 1944 and was an effective member for many years. The club introduced him to a wide variety of agricultural pursuits including the importance of sustainablity and conservation. He won awards for tree planting and wheat growing and traveled with other members to the Hunter Valley.

In 1948 he flew with a small group to Perth (10 1/2 hours!) and toured the South West region of WA. For a 16 year old country boy, this no doubt would have been an exciting and interesting venture. They met the governor while there. Lex became club leader iin his early twenties.

In 1953 it was decided that Lex would purchase Bellevue from his father and began paying it off in installments.

Then tragedy struck. On Saturday 31 Oct 1953 his brother Kelvin was severly burned. Lex and his sister-in-law Nancy also sustained burns to their hands and forearms while trying to extinguish the flames. Despite this setback, Lex took over the running of their jointly owned farm until Kelvin was well enough to resume work.

Following his marriage to Jeanette Smith of Newport Beach, Jeanette also joined the JFC and was elected leader too. They shared the role in that capacity until 1962 when their second son was born.

Lex and Jeanette resided and worked on Bellevue until 1974-5 when they sold the property and moved with their three children to Kiama. Years of adverse weather and Lex’s health were significant factors in making this decision.

Sadly, shortly after his 70th birthday, Lex passed away at home. 
McDonald, Alexander William (I2325)
 
228 When Steve, the youngest, got married, he moved into the family home. He more or less inherited the Leitheiser homestead after the other sons and daughters got married and moved away. In return, he tookc are of grandma Leitheiser, her unmarried brother John Neher, and Jean (until she went off to college and married Erv Lenz). Leitheiser, Stephen George (I1089)
 
229 While Jane was also a McDonald, it is not known if she was related at all to Alexander.

After their fourth child David was born, she died [in childbirth?] that same year. 
McDonald (No Relation), Jane (I2374)
 
230 While very young, Casper got sick with meningitis. Several of Henry's brothers were going to visit the Kirchers in West Bend, WI, so Elizabeth sent money along as an offering to the church on Holy Hill. Casper got better.

Casper and Viola had six children. One of the little girls died as asmall child. They lived in Emery, SD. 
Leitheiser, Casper (I908)
 
231 Will chose Franz's tree claim next to Frank's claim to the north. His gravestone has the year of birth as 1863. Leitheiser, William (I1120)
 
232 William was a welder at Louis Allis company in Milwaukee. Lenz, William Anton (I1228)
 
233 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I1496)
 
234 [Note from Joyce: “I would like to acknowledge the research work undertaken in the 1980s by my second cousin Betty McDonald (wife of Max) and also Jan (John) Schooneveldt, husband of second cousin Donna Reid, in compiling and sharing the information concerning the lives of pioneers John and Elizabethe McDonald.]

John was the son of a crofter*, and Elizabeth was the daughter of a Presbyterian minister.
*[A crofter is the person who occupies and works a small landholding known as a croft. A crofter is normally the tenant of the croft, paying rent to the landlord of the croft.]

Living in abject poverty would have had a profound effect on John and his brother David. They would have had to seek work to help support the family at a very young age.

A year after they were married they emigrated from Scotland on board the Dirigo when it sailed form Liverpool, England on 20 Dec 1859. Their baby son Alexander was seven months old when they arrived in Sydney on 13 Apr 1860 - a journey via the Cape of Good Hope of 115 days. The cost per person was 12 pounds.

An immigration official who met them on their arrival mistakenly recorded John as “Ivan” and described him as a laborer (in other documents his occupation is given as “farm servant”) from Caithness, Scotland. John was 26 years of age, a Presbyterian and was able to read and write. Elizabeth was also literate and Presbyterian. She was 25 years of age and her occupation was described as “wife”.

In total there were 445 assisted immigrants on board. Little is known of the voyage. However, traveling to and from Australia by ship in 1860 was a huge improvement on conditions that existed in the early years of the settlement. Ships were faster, bigger, safer, and less crowded. John and Elizabeth were one of about 150 families on board. Several of these had a child under one. The day after the ship arrived, the Sydney Gazetter reported that:

“The ‘Dirigo’, a vessel of 1152 tons under the command of Captain Brown, had left Liverpool on 27 December 1859 and had arrived with 445 immigrants sponsored by the Government. The agents were G.A. Lloyd & Company. The voyage took 115 days.”

Initially, John worked as a jackeroo* on a property in the Coonamble district before moving to the Oberon district where he became manager of a property called Sornbank near Hartley. [A jackeroo was a young man working on a sheep or cattle station to gain experience.]

In a written statement, in part, John McDonald declared that he was the first man to introduce the iron plough into New South Wales in the 1860s. About the same time he demonstrated how to break stones to repair the Bathurst Road. In 1864 John and a Mr. Irvine applied to the Government for money to put a culvert across the Talbragar River. Mr. Irvine received 60 pounds for the work and John McDonald was the superintendent of its construction. He also supervised the construction of other stone culverts in the district.

When John and Elizabether arrived in the Colony they were virtually penniless and it took a decade or so before John was able to save sufficient funds to purchase his first block of land. When free selections were first introduced into NSW by the Minister of Lands, John selected a property 12 miles west of Orange in the County of Ashburnham near Mount Canobolas and took up 50 acres at £1 per acre on 11 Nov 1869. A few days later on the 18th he purchased 60 acres adjoining the original block.

John was the first in the area to be given the opportunity of selection and he named the property Stonewall after the stone fences in Scotland. In 1980 Betty said several of the stone walls John and his sons constructed on the property were still standing. During the day, sheep flocks were shephered and at night these fences provided enclosures and shelter. It became apparent that many selectors failed to make a success of their ventures largely because most of the selections were unsuitable for agriculture. But those who could raise sheep and increase their holdings survived and in some cases prospered. During the latter part of the 1800s the quality of the wool had improved and was highly sought after, especially by Britain which was a large consumer.

Although John may not have been awash with money at the time, he was able to produce wool and sell it at a good price when the wool boom was on. This enabled him to purchase many additional blocks from surrounding selectors who had gone broke. On 10 Mar 1870 John bought more land (27 deeds) near the original holdings. Like farming today, poor seasonal conditions, depressions, low commodity prices and perhaps an inability to afford essential equipment, made it impossible for many selectors to carry on. Whereas John, being an austere Scot supported by a hard working family, may have been in a position to hold on until the economy and other factors improved.

Betty said the original Stonewall home was built on a hill in two parts - the first was built of slab and plaster and the other of brick and stone. The house was occupied until 1927 when the present Stonewall homestead was built. It was constructed of solid concrete.

John and Elizabeth made a return visit to Scotland after an absence of 40 years. Betty said it was John’s intention to go alone until his sons persuaded him to take their mother! They were originally booked on the Waratah but due to a delay they sailed from Sydney on (or about) 11 May 1902 aboard the Suevic, a twin screw steamship, via South Africa. The Waratah foundered! Elizabeth was ill for most of the voyage but recovered once she arried in Scotland. John had always kept in touch with family members there by correspondence. However little is known about the visit.

John did, however, arrange for the importation of two rectangular stone water storage tanks, each holding approx. 1500 liters, which were noted for keeping water cool. They were made from thin stone slabs about 55mm thick, that could readily be assembled and disassembled for transportation. In 1980 one tank was still in use.

In 1905 John purchased an additional property, Borrodell (owned by a family of that name) at an auction sales from the balcony of the Royal Hotel, Orange. This property was later acquired by John’s son Dave. Then in 1950 Dave’s son Max purchased it from his father at £6 per acre. In 1965 Max sold it for £25 per acre. It changed hands again in 1978 at approx. £100 per acre.

On 18 Feb 1910 John bought the adjacent Mountain View property and immediately he and Elizabeth moved to the homestead there, leaving their two youngest sons, Dave and George, to batch [?] in the original Stonewall house.

Elizabeth and John continued to live at Mountain View until they passed away. John lived three years longer than Elizabeth. He never recovered from a bout of bronchitis and passed away at age 93 in 1927. A few days before his demise he was visited by his solicitors who arranged for him to sign a will (believed to replace a will made before WWI) which provided that all his property should be sold. The bulk of it was to go to his granddaughter, Jessie Reid, who nursed him, and the remainder to be shared between his surviving children and the children of Margaret and Helen who had both died.

The property was then sold at auction and bought by their son Dave for 11 guineas per acre on 2 Mar 1928. Dave’s second son Max bought Mountain View from his father at £7.15 (the lowest price the law allowed it to be sold in 1946). Having worked for his father for nine years - since he left school for only his keep as pay - Max had to borrow the entire sum from the bank with his father as guarantor. The 415 acre property cost £3,216. It was on this property Max and his wife Betty lived and raised four children.

From a very early age in Scotland, John would have learnt the importance of vegetables in one’s diet. It’s worth noting that whilst many infants at the time suffered high mortality rates, not one of John and Elizabeth’s children died from malnutrition or disease. The family said John pottered around in his vegetable garden almost to the end. 
McDonald, John (I2344)
 
235 [Notes on Jean provided by her sister Joyce]

Jean assisted her parents with the running of the farm until at age 19 she enlisted in the Women’s Auxiliary Australia Air Force (WAAAF) on 21 Oct 1943. For the first 16 weeks, trainees were based in Sydney at the Oceanic Hotel, Coogee (which was commandeered for service personnel accommodation for the duration of the war). Their training was conducted at the Ultimo Technical College. When this course was completed they were posted to the Central Flying School at Parkes and subsequently to the RAAF flying base at Point Cook, Victoria.

Jean was an instrument repairer. On 27 Feb 1945 she was on duty when the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester visited Point Cook. Jean was working in one of the hangers that the Duchess visited. (The Duke was Governor-General at the time). Jean was discharged from the WAAAF on 22 Jan 1946.

She then entered the nursing profession. She did her general training at Sydney’s Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. Then with several other nurses proceeded to the Queen Victoria Maternity Hospital in Adelaide to begin post graduate studies. Before returning to Sydney she traveled in company with two other graduates to Geraldton in WA where they worked in the local base hospital. When she returned to Sydney she continued to broaden her experience in various fields of nursing and administration before accepting an appointment at the then newly opened Governor Phillip Special Hospital, Penrigh, a rehabilitation hospital for geriatric patients.

Jean played a significant role during expansion and running of the hospital and retired from there as Director of Nursing in February 1980. She spent her retirement years in Cammeray where she and her sister Joyce jointly owned a home in Carter Street.

Jean was awared an Honorary Life Membership of the pioneer family history organization, “The 1788 to 1820 Association” (the period of Governor Lachlan Macquaries’s term of office) for her voluntary woek as membership officer and committee meember for many years.

To qualify for membership of this association it is necessary to verify that at least one of the applicant’s ancestors immigrated to Australia during the above period. There were, in fact, two ancestors - George Howel and Hannah Hill who arrived as convicts in the NSW Colony in 18092 and 1804 respectively. Both were ancestors of Mary Ann Traves (Jean’s maternal grandmother).

Had it not been for Jean’s keen interest and diligence in researching and recording her own families’s history, much of the information concerning George and Hannah may not have come to light. 
McDonald, Jean Mary (I2330)
 
236 [Per Joyce]

John and his wife Valerie have hosted several McDonald specail occasion events including one held on 13 Apr 1974 to mark the 114th anniversary of the arrival in Australia of John and Elizabeth McDonald. 
McDonald, John (I2369)
 
237 [These notes regarding Kelvin and his children were transcribed by his sister Joyce, from notes prepared by Kelvin.]

Schooling for Kelvin, the oldest, was a significant factor in his parents’ (John Hugh and Clara) decision to move in 1928. He was seven when he started school. Transport, or lack thereof, posed a problem. On Mondays his mother would take him in the horse and sulky to stay with his grandparents in town to enable him to attend school. He returned home for weekends.

Kelvin said, “Early days at Bellevue were extremely difficult. There were so many adverse issues with which to contend. Firstly, the soil was poor and badly needed to be improved. There were rabbit plagues, drought, and low farm commodity prices, etc. to name just a few. Any income that dad received for farm produce was barely enough to sustain a family of six. Then there was a debt of £6,000 owing to the bank. The bank would have sold us up but for the fact that there were no buyers. Luckily, this factor turned to our advantage many years later. In changing farms, dad had made his move at the wrong time. No doubt he was keen to be closer to school, but he was not aware the Great Depression was looming only a year or so later.”

Kelvin’s sister Joyce remembers their mother Clara saying that they received no child endowment except for Lex for a short time when Lex was about 14.

After completing his education at the Canowindra District Rural School, Kelvin assisted his parents on the farm whilst he developed practical skills required for life on the land. Farming was to become his vocation and interest for the major part of his life.

Following the outbreak of WWII in 1939, he enlisted at age 18 in the Canowindra Troop of the 2nd 6th Australian Lighthorse Regiment CMF (no. N3804). This regiment was used to mainly bolster coastal defences from Sydney to Jervis Bay. As Australia was under threat of invasion by Japan it was anticipated their navy would plan to land along this coastal strip. The regiment was used to fortify the Jervis Bay Naval College as well as protect important industrial sites. Port Kembla was one of the sites where a deep tank trap was constructed as a defence around the steelworks. Interestingly, the Japanese navy used Jervis Bay Naval College as a naval base during WWI when they were on the allies side.

The troops continually patrolled night and day on foot in the scrub around HMAS Albatross (Nowra Airfield). Apparently it was a base for aircraft that were used for gathering highly sensitive information. After the regiment moved north to the Walgrove-Camden area they were told some of the planes were sabotaged one night.

At the Walgrove camp one Easter weekend, the men and horses were given rest. Kelvin said “The horses were well fed and became spirited, and while being led, four to a man, to their water troughs a whirlwind blew some papers over the lines which scared a number of horses causing them to break free of their handlers. They then galloped through the tethering lines taking other horses with them. many men wer injured trying to halt the horses. Although Kelvin was not in camp at the time, he clearly remembered the chaos that contronted him on his return.

A few months later when their duties along the coast were completed, the horses were stood down and railed back to their home farms. Many of the men transferred to the 6th Motor Regiment, Australian Imperial Force (AIF) to begin training for overseas service. Because of the necessity to keep their movements and destination secrret the armoured cards, trucks, and men were loaded onto the long troop and transport train. Their destination was Drysdale, Victoria but in order to deceive enemy intelligence they travelled via a route that took them west. There they continued training for overseas service with sentry duty and night manoeuvres around Melbourne’s Port Phillip Bay.

Kelvin said “At the height of our training word came through that our regiment would be broken up and used to strengthen other units through out Australia.” Kelvin was posted to No 2 ITS Bradfield Park (Sydney) for intensive communication (Morse Code) and flight theory training. Then he was posted to Temora, flying Tiger-Moths, then to Uranquinty (Wagga) using Wirraway aircraft. They heard their next posting would be to Canada to undertake training on heavier planes.

Kelvin and Nancy were already engaged but this rumor prompted them to marry right away.

The 10 SETS group continued training at Uranquinty. For Kelvin, everything appeared to be going well until the end of the course. On a solo navigational exercise he said “I say an opportunity to buzz up Bellevue with a couple of figure eights. My aircraft number was taken and reported back to base. Soon after I was stood down from the course for breaking regulations and together with a few others who had not reached the required standard I was sent to a holding base a Sandgate, Queensland.”

At this stage, fate intervened. Because Kelvin’s father had multiple sclerosis, Hugh and Clara found it increasingly difficult to look after the farm. Then this situation was exacerbated when Hugh sustained a broken leg. Hugh applied to have Kelvin released from the service in order to return to the farm. The application was successful. Kelvin received an honourable discharge on 30 May 1944 “to resume civilian occupation” at Bellevue.

Kelvin said “My service was similar to that of many thousands of men who volunteered but were required to stay on Australian soil because of the Japanese threat of invasions. however, we were trained and prepared to move overseas if needed.” For these men, those years appeared to be unproductive and uncertain on six shillings per day while their home farms were urgently in need of manpower.

On Saturday 31 Oct 1953 Kelvin was severly burned. His clothes ignited when he ws spraying grasshoppers. He spent many months in Canowindra and Sydney hospitals. Had his brother Lex (and his wife Nancy) not been nearby at the time he would not have survived. Kelvin’s sister Jean, a Royal Prince Alfred Hospital nursing graduate, was working in Adelaide. She was granted special leave when requested to return home to carry out “specialling duties” during the time Kelvin was in Canowindra Soldier’s Memorial Hospital.

Garnie Sams, a near neighbor on Ferguson Street, traveled to Sydney Airport to meet Jean; and cousin Flo Diment of Hurstville and her son Bill transported blood from Sydney Blood Bank. They were amoung many who responded quickly when transport and other deeds were required. In due course, Kelvin was transferred to Sydney for a lengthy process of treatment and skin grafts.

Four years later in mid 1957, Kelvin and Nancy decided to sell their land and purchase 1,110 acres in the West Narrabri area close to where Nancy’s sister and brother-in-law farmed. However, in time it became evident that demands of the farm were too great for Kelvin. The trauma of the fire and burns, no doubt played a major role in reaching their decision to sell and relocate to the Sydney suburb of Balgowlah (12 Myrtle Street) in 1959.

They bought a small fruit and vegetable business in nearby Seaforth North. Although the venture was successful it was during this time one of Kelvin’s customers encouraged him to apply for a job in the NSW Department of Agricultures’s Division of Marketing in Sydney. Although this job attracted a large number of applicants, Kelvin was successful in being appointed to the position of senior marketing reporter. He was responsible for the gathering and daily reporting of prices from major selling centers through out the state and Flemington Fruit and Vegetable Markets. From Homebrush Salesyards (now the Sydney Olympic site) he did a thrice weekly ABC Country Hour broadcast and later a weekly segment for a time on ABC TV.

Kelvin also designed a marketing system fot he classification of sheep and cattle which was adopted on a national basis. His counterparts in other states tried but failed to design a workable system. Kelvin was extremely proud of his achievment in this regard and was awared a Certificate of Merit by NSW Department of Agriculture in appreciation of his efforts. In March 1981 he retired from the Department, aged 60, after a career there of 19 years.

Kelvin displayed a keen interest in real estate and kept an eye on market trends. During 1960-1970 he made several successful investments around Manly and Balgowlah that benefited them in retirement. For a few years he also owned a small parcel of rural land at Schofields. Then when they moved to Tamworth (48 McRae Street) when he retired in 1981, he bought another few acres. In his first years there he grew a few crops and vegetables along a creek with ran through the property.

Joyce recalls that he did well in the subject of math. He possessed a natural ability to very quickly make mental calculations and enjoyed a challenge.

During their working years and subsequently, Kelvin and Nancy traveled overseas on several occasions and toured extensively by car throughout Australia. It was this latter aspect that prompted Bernard Lum, a former contact at the fruit and vegetable markets, to think Kelvin would be ideally suited to seek out fruit supplies for sale at his company’s Flemington markets. This necessitated traveling the eastern states for supplies. The combination of travel and Kelvin’s interest in talking to producers on their farms became an enjoyable segment during their retirement. Bernie went on to become a close and valued friend for the remainder of Kelvin’s life.

On 4 Oct 1998, at home in Tamworth, Kelvin suffered a massive stroke, resulting in permanent paralysis of his left side. With household modifications and help he continued to live at home with Nancy. In 2007 they decided to purchase a villa in the War Veteran’s Village, Collaroy Plateau to take advantage of the resources offered there and also to be clsoer to family members. Sadly, on 18 Jan 2009 he had another stroke and passed away peacefully in Peter Cosgrove House. 
McDonald, Kelvin Hugh (I2328)
 
238 [These notes were written by Clara’s daughter Joyce, in response to a request from Helen F. when researching the children of her great grandparents William and Mary Traves (c. 1998)]

Clara was born at Lockwood near Canowindra, and was of nine children (4 boys, 5 girls). She was educated to class 6 standard at the Lockwood single-teacher school. When she left school she learnt piano and painting and became skilled in needlework, dressmaking, and cooking. She learnt to handle horses and rode well, and became an excellent gardener. All these attributes no doubt were to play a significant role in her life as a farmer’s wife and mother, especially during the Great Depression.

Much of the district’s social activities centered around the Lockwood school and hall where dances, tennis, cricket, picnics, and other functions took place. Clara’s sisters Emily and Matilda provided much of the musical entertainment for these occasions. As many farms had tennis courts, “tennis parties” were held regularly at each others place.

She married Hugh McDonald who lived at Belmont in Lockwood. AFter their wedding, held at her family’s residence, they drove by horse and sulky to their newly acquired farm Rockley on the Cowra Road - a distance of about 13 miles. They remained there for 9 years. They sold the property in 1928 and purchased Bellevue (991 acres), 2 miles south of Canowindra on the Cowra Road.

Because they relied mainly on horses for transport, Bellevue brought them closer to their respective families, school and town facilities. Although they owned a car at this time it had to be put on blocks and was subsequently sold as the Great Depression took its toll in the early 1930s. With two children, Kelvin and Jean, and two more yet to come (Joyce and Lex in 1931 and 1932), financially life became extremely difficult.

Clara possessed many practical skills which enabled her to assist Hugh in all kinds of ways with the running of the farm and looking after their family. There were, however, times when she had as little as 1 shilling in her purse.

When business houses in the town were also suffering financially, Clara found it difficult to summon up the courage to buy essential groceries knowing previous accounts had not been settled. Had Clara not grown vegetables, raised chickens for eggs and separated milk and cream to make butter, life would have been even more difficult. Occasionally if she had a surplus of eggs or butter she would sell them for a few pence.

It was during this time that many unemployed men from all walks of life took to the roads with their swags [?]. They walked from farm to farm seeking work and/or food. Even though Clara had barely enough for their own needs, no one left the house empty handed.

In 1942, during WWII, they could no longer afford to keep the farm intact, so to ease the financial pressure they reluctantly disposed of 478 acres. This area was bought back be Kelvin in 1950. In 1945 they moved to Canowindra - first to Gaskill Street and then to 27 Feruson Street (Hugh’s father’s home) after his mother passed away. Clara cared for Hugh’s father Alex until he died.

It wasn’t until they moved to town that Clara began playing lawn bowls. It was a sport in which many of the Traves family excelled, and Clara was no exception, with many trophies to prove it. Clara loved flowers and took great pride in her garden. Her quiet personality endeared her to many. She was a valued member of the community and willingly gave her time and effort whenever she saw a need. She was an active member of the Presbyterian Church, Country Women’s Association,, and Ladies Bowling Club. 
Traves, Clara Helen (I2332)
 
239 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I2331)
 

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5